Potato salad with bacon, egg and spring onions. Great served with sausages, grilled chicken or with anything cooked on the barbecue.
I love the crispy, crunchy bacon in this easy potato salad recipe with mayo, it gives it a great flavour.
This potato salad is so tasty and will have everyone begging you for the recipe!
Hard-boiled eggs, mayo, crispy bacon, and potatoes combine for a creamy potato salad that's seasoned with spring onion.
- 1.5kg potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200g bacon rashers
- ⅔ cup (170g) whole egg mayonnaise
- 3 Spring Onions
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water and bring to the boiling point.
Boil for about 10 minutes, or until just tender.
Drain well and set aside to cool.
- Dice bacon, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
Add the bacon and cook, stirring for 7-8 minutes or until golden.
Set aside in pan.
- Lightly whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper together.
Peel the eggs and cut into quarters.
Thinly slice the spring onions.
- Place the warm potatoes, eggs and mayo in a bowl and fold gently to combine.
- Sprinkle the spring onion over the top.
- Lastly sprinkle your bacon on top of everything also drizzling the bacon dripping over as well.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour or so, then serve.
- Spring Onion;
The white part of the spring onion is stronger in flavour than the green, use accordingly to your taste.
The mayo only needs to be a thin coating on the potatoes. Too much may make it gluggy.
Variations for potato salad recipe
Vegetarian Potato Salad
You can certainly leave the bacon out if you would like a vegetarian potato salad, simply swap for your favourite tofu.
You can leave the eggs out too if desired and swap for a handful of corn kernals.
The egg mayo can be swapped for your favourite vegetarian brand.
Italian Potato Salad
For your Italian potato salad you will need;
- 1kg baby new potato , halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- small bunch basil , roughly chopped
- 6 finely sliced sundried tomatoes
- Boil the potatoes until tender, about 15 mins, then drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the olive oil, Parmesan and a little seasoning.
- Toss through the potatoes with the basil and sundried tomatoes.
- Serve warm.
Potato Salad With Chorizo
To create your potato salad with chorizo, use chopped cooked chorizo sausage in place of bacon.
What to Eat with Potato salad
Potato salads are often paired with meat dishes like barbecue, grilled pork and chicken, and a good meatloaf.
Aside from the meat dishes I mentioned earlier, you can also pair potato salad with chicken nuggets, cashew crusted chicken, pork chops, battered chicken, and the like.
Potato is a light dish that can go well with any of these dishes.
I personally love pairing potato salad with barbecued ham steak and pineapple. It’s a very flavourful and appetizing combination with a tropical flavour.
Even simple foods like hot wings, hamburgers, sausage and hotdogs would go well with potato salad.
But what if you’re tired of too much meat? Well, you can also pair potato salad with other fish dishes.
From pan seared fish to breaded fish fillets, any fish recipes would go well with potato salad such as Salmon Salpicao.
You can also serve potato salad with fresh or smoked salmon and tiger prawns.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 463Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 158mgSodium 694mgCarbohydrates 55gFibre 6gSugar 3gProtein 22g