Macaroni Cheese easy and delicious. This Macaroni Cheese recipe is the ultimate comfort food, and is the best mac and cheese for children every time.
It’s tasty, very cheesy, simple to cook and versatile, with some awesome variations such as macaroni cheese with bacon.
An indulgent and homely baked macaroni cheese dish.
This one is for all the family, it also includes some awesome easy variations that will create the best mac and cheese.
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion
2 Tbsp plain flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheese
2 cups macaroni elbows
4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 190℃ / 375℉
- In a saucepan bring water to a vigorous boil and season with salt.
- Add macaroni elbows and boil for 8 - 10 minutes or until Al dente.
- Set aside and drain well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and cook until clear.
- Stir in flour and cook until frothy.
- Gradually add milk, stir constantly until sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in half the cheese.
- Add macaroni, stir in to combine.
- Pour in to an oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.
Macaroni Cheese Easy Serving Suggestions
- Serve with tasty side dish sauteed greens such as spinach, kale, green beans with garlic and maybe a little hot chili flake.
- Roasted broccoli is nice on the side.
- Serve with garlic bread.
Macaroni Cheese Recipe Variation
- Chopped cooked bacon or chicken or ham can be added to the sauce if desired.
- For a bit of zing, add 400g can of well drained diced tomatoes, add when stirring in macaroni elbows.
- Add some chopped cooked browned Italian sausage, green capsicum, and sliced tomatoes.
- We add both tinned tomatoes and cooked, chopped bacon to the sauce for the best mac and cheese.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 505Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 81mgSodium 634mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 23g