This easy step-by-step arancini balls recipe shows you how to make arancini from scratch.
Arancini, or rice arancini balls, are one of the most recognized Sicilian foods throughout the world.
These crisp, golden little nuggets are typically served as a snack or street food throughout Sicily.
Arancini balls are delicious, crispy, deep fried Italian balls of rice with a meat sauce and two cheese cheese filling and crunchy breadcrumb coating.
These soft and crunchy balls are so cute and tasty it is worth your time to make these.
- 1½ cups Arborio rice (uncooked)
- 3¼ cups cold water
- 2 stock cubes. (Vegetable)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 250 grams lean minced beef
- 2 or 3 eggs, whisked with a fork.
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- Egg wash (1 egg to 1 Tbsp water)
- Bread Crumbs (Plain)
- Oil for deep frying
- Put the rice in a heavy bottom saute pan, and add cold water, stock cubes, and the 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Immediately, give one stir and cover.
- Turn the heat to low. (As low as possible) Leave the pan on the burner for 20 minutes without stirring or opening the pan.
- After 20 minutes, open pan, and fluff rice with a fork.
Rice for this dish should be slightly sticky.
If rice is too dry or fluffy, add a tablespoon of water, and place back on low heat for a few more minutes.
- When rice is thoroughly cooked and sticky, let covered pan cool to room temperature.
Cook The Meat
- While rice is cooling, cook minced beef in an open Frypan until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Crumble cooked minced beef finely.
- Drain cooked meat in a colander and discard fat.
- Mix cooled rice, meat, cheeses, and melted butter.
- Taste mixture and correct seasonings by adding salt and pepper to taste.
(I use a lot of pepper, some people add a little oregano here.)
- Add beaten eggs, and then mix thoroughly.
You want the mixture to be about the consistency of play dough, albeit lumpy.
There is not as much work as it appears to be.
Cooking the rice is largely unattended, and a batch normally takes me an hour, once the rice is cool.
Rice balls can be refrigerated for 3 - 4 days, and served warm.
Arancini Balls Recipe Variations
- Substitute vegetable stock cubes for beef or chicken.
Arancini Balls Serving Suggestions
- Goes very well with a rich aioli dipping sauce.
- Arancini Balls are a popular finger food or appetiser, with a little tomato sauce on the side for dipping is very good.
- Serve plain, or place on tray with a little tomato sauce and garnish with basil.
- Serve as a main with coleslaw and a leafy salad.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 106Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 41mgSodium 131mgCarbohydrates 8gFibre 0gSugar 0gProtein 6g