Wondering how to make mayonnaise at home? With this mayonnaise recipe, the result will be a thick, smooth mixture.
This is delicious and so much nicer than the bought variety.
It is also much used as a basis for numerous other dressings.
This is your go-to homemade mayonnaise recipe that you can put together in less than 10 minutes.
Learn the secret to making your own mayonnaise that is perfect for salads, coleslaw, sauces and dipping fresh seafood in.
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1½ cups olive oil (Mild)
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 4 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Separate the eggs.
- Whisk egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric whisk, add oil, first drop by drop, then in a slow, steady stream.
(If mixture curdles or splits, add a little hot water and beat vigorously.)
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
Your Mayo should not be made in large quantities, for the oil separates from the remainder of the ingredients if it is allowed to stand too long.
If it is thoroughly beaten and kept extremely cold, it may perhaps keep for a week, but keeping it longer than that is not advisable.
Mayonnaise Recipe Variations
- Before serving, it may be thinned by beating either Light Cream or sour cream into it.
- It may be made fluffy and light and its quantity may be increased by beating Whipped Cream into it.
- Garlic Mayonnaise
Add a clove of finely chopped garlic to step one for this creamy Spanish inspired mayonnaise.
Use with anything from roast veggies to a tasty sandwich.
- Herb Mayonnaise
Stir a tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs through the finished mayonnaise.
Choose basil, dill, parsley or any other choice of herb.
- Chilli Mayonnaise
Substitute a tablespoon of olive oil for a tablespoon of chilli oil to create a spicy mayonnaise.
This is ideal to serve with wedges or chicken skewers.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 2988Total Fat 333gSaturated Fat 48gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 276gCholesterol 369mgSodium 1202mgCarbohydrates 2gFibre 0gSugar 0gProtein 6g