What Is Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a variety of cabbage, whose white flower head is eaten. This vegetable is very nutritious, and may be eaten cooked, raw or pickled.
It is a popular vegetable world wide and is eaten in soups, vegie bakes, as cauliflower cheese or fried with bread crumbs.
Here we will show you how to steam cauliflower, how to cook cauliflower on the stove and how to cook cauliflower in the microwave.
How To Prepare Cauliflower
- Wash cauliflower.
- Trim stalk, removing core; remove outer leaves.
- Leave whole or break into florets, discarding inner core.
This short video shows you how to prepare a cauliflower for cooking.
How to Steam Cauliflower
Steaming in a Pan
This is the most common way steam cauliflower.
It results in great tasting cauliflower.
- Bring about 6cm (¼”) of water to a boil in a large frying pan.
- Add about ½ teaspoon salt and the trimmed and cleaned cauliflower florets.
- Cover the pan and steam until as tender as you like (about 3 minutes for crisp-tender and up to 8 minutes for completely cooked, soft florets).
- Make sure to drain any water from cauliflower before using.
Steaming in a Steamer Basket
This is a classic method of steaming vegetables.
The cauliflower is placed in a steamer basket or an insert over boiling water.
- Bring about 2.5 cm (1″) of water to a boil in the bottom of a pot into which your steamer basket or insert fits.
- Put trimmed and cleaned cauliflower florets in the steamer basket and set the basket over the boiling water.
- Cover the pot and steam until the cauliflower is tender to the bite, about 3 minutes for crisp-tender and up to to 8 minutes for fully tender florets.
How to Cook Cauliflower on the Stove
- Place trimmed and cleaned cauliflower florets in a large pot.
- Fill pot with warer so that florets are covered.
- Add 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for for 5-7 minutes.
For both cooking methods, test regularly with the tip of a fork to make sure they don’t overcook.
How to Cook Cauliflower In The Microwave
- Place cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl with enough water to just cover the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover bowl loosely with waxed paper or a paper towel.
- Steam cauliflower in microwave on high until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.