Made from scratch Chicken Tikka recipe. Create a traditional Indian cuisine in which the meat is marinated with yoghurt and spices, put on skewers and then grilled.
An easy, family-pleasing dinner and is also great as an appetiser.
The Indian chicken tikka recipe that really delivers.
The chicken marinade in this Indian-style curry creates the perfect balance of spices and flavours.
It is traditionally cooked on skewers and served as both a main meal or appetiser.
- 1 kg skinless chicken breast fillet
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed oil
- 75 ml milk
- 175 ml natural yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 3 fresh red jalapeños peppers
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 bamboo skewers
- Place your bamboo skewers in a dish of water to soak.
- Dice chicken into bite size cubes, set aside.
- Finely chop coriander, garlic and jalapeños, set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients except the chicken to a non-metallic mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken and mix until fully coated.
- Ideally, the chicken should now be left in a refrigerator to marinate for at least 8 hours. See Notes Below *
- Place on skewers and cook in a tandoor or ceramic pot oven.
The chicken can also be cooked on skewers under a medium grill for 5-8 minutes on each side. See Notes Below **
- * If you don't have time to marinate for 8 hours, use thigh fillets instead and marinate for 30 minutes.
- ** The meat can be cooked on a bbq hotplate or in a frying pan, either way it needs to be lightly seared.
- Some people prefer to make tikka with meat on-the-bone for improved flavour.
- Always ensure the chicken is cooked throughout before serving.
Soaking the skewers! Yes... please make sure you allow your wooden skewers to soak for around 15min, this stops them burning.
Chicken Tikka Recipe Variations
- It is possible to make a tikka with almost any meat, the most commonly used other than chicken being lamb and mutton.
- Powdered or dried ingredients can be substituted for fresh, but at the expense of taste.
Chicken Tikka Serving Suggestions
Tikka can be served either as main meal or as an appetiser.
- Dice some red capsicum and onion and mix in to the marinade with the chicken.
Slide them skewers alternating chicken and vegies. Now grill.
- Serve as a main with rice and naan, saffron rice is good.
- Serve Chicken Tikka with vegetables as an appetiser.
- Serve in a sandwich with your favourite salad ingredients.
- Chicken Tikka is delicious in these curries;
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Chilli Garlic
Amount Per ServingCalories 69Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 29mgSodium 109mgCarbohydrates 1gFibre 0gSugar 1gProtein 11g