This restaurant style chicken tikka masala recipe is rich and creamy, just like Indian takeaway.
Hands down the very best traditional chicken tikka masala.
With aromatic golden chicken pieces swimming in an incredible curry sauce, this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is one of the best you will try!
Chicken Tikka Masala recipe made from scratch.
This amazing dish has the signature yoghurt marinated chargrilled chicken smothered in an incredible spice infused curry sauce.
- 675 grams cooked Chicken Tikka
- 2 Tbsp mustard seed oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 200 grams onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 400 grams Cherry tomatoes, tinned, chopped
- 1-4 fresh green chillis chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 50 ml cream
- 1 Tbsp malt vinegar (or tamarind extract)
- 2 Tbsp curry paste
- 2 Tbsp tandoori masala paste
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- Your cooked Chicken Tikka should be pre prepared using this recipe Chicken Tikka.
- Heat the oil in a wok (if available, otherwise a large frying pan).
- Add the garlic and onions (if using) and stir-fry until browned.
- Add the curry pastes and mix well, adding a little water or yoghurt.
- Add the cooked chicken tikka and stir-fry for two minutes to heat through.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, tomato paste, and chilies and simmer for five minutes. Add more extra water if needed.
- Add the cream, garam masala, and chopped cilantro and simmer for a few minutes.
- One thing I have noticed with recipies that call for spices is that the quality of the spices either make or break the recipe.
Especially Garam Masala. There are some versions that are full of flavourless fillers like paprika.
- Also, if your spices are over 6 months old they begin to lose flavour. If your spices are 2-3 years old, they can be next to flavourless in a dish.
Try toasting some fresh whole spices and grinding them in a spice grinder. This should punch up your flavours.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe Variations
- You can use anywhere between 1 - 4 green chillies depending on strength of the Chillis and the desired strength of the sauce.
- Vegan Chicken Tikka Masala;
Make these simple substitutions: chickpeas and carrots for the chicken and coconut milk for the cream.
- Substitute coconut cream instead of standard cream and adds a new depth to it.
Chicken Tikka Masala Serving Suggestions
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with Naan bread, rice coloured yellow with turmeric, onion bahjis and/or a glass of white wine.
- Serve with Basmati Rice and add a side of Homemade Flatbreads to mop up the sauce!
- Make sure you have plenty of naan for serving, preferably garlic naan.
- Serve immediately with rice, garnished with cilantro, if desired.
- Serve with basmati rice flavoured with cumin seeds.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 1195Total Fat 70gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 36gCholesterol 294mgSodium 2361mgCarbohydrates 54gFibre 8gSugar 17gProtein 89g