Traditional Anzac Biscuits recipe is a fun, simple and delicious biscuit to make and eat.
They are great as a snack, morning or afternoon tea or as a lunchbox filler.
These crunchy anzac biscuits without coconut have a steep history in both New Zealand & Australian tradition.
Housewives used to make up these biscuits to send to the troops on the front line.
How to make traditional Anzac biscuits as they used to be with this pre 1920 traditional Anzac biscuits recipe.
Really worth a try.
These Anzac biscuits without coconut, less sugar and are a bit more healthy than a lot of the modern recipes.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- Pre heat oven to 160°C
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Put the oats, flour and sugar into a large bowl and mix well.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, dip tablespoon in hot water and then use to measure the golden syrup, stir till dissolved and just coming to the boil.
- Remove from heat source don't allow it to cool.
- Stir the bicarbonate of soda with the measured boiling water until its dissolved then add to the pan of hot melted butter and golden syrup.
- Stir until it 'froths up'- immediately add to the dry ingredients and mix all together.
- Taking teaspoons or a flat dessert spoon of the mixture - place it in your hand, bring together by rolling into a ball, place 5 cm apart on the baking sheet (they will spread).
- The biscuits need to be flattened slightly - use the base of a glass or, press down with a fork dipped in a little flour (this will stop it sticking).
- Bake in oven for 15 - 18 minutes until golden (they will still be soft)
- Leave the biscuits on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- When the biscuits are cold store them in an air tight tin.
Traditional Anzac Biscuits Recipe Variation
- See our Chewy Anzac Biscuits Recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 120Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 13mgSodium 42mgCarbohydrates 16gFibre 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g