This Classic French toast recipe is a delicious breakfast for the family with sweet french toast and savoury french toast options available.
Serve as part of a fried breakfast or use your favourite pancake toppings.
Delicious and a great way to get your kids to eat eggs without them knowing.
How to make classic french toast with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Create awesome sweet french toast or savoury french toast.
This classic French toast can be made with common ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Create sweet or savoury fluffy french toast for that special breakfast.
You can use the plain sliced sandwich bread you keep in your pantry, and still end up with the best french toast ever.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Milk (more for softer less for firmer)
- 4 slices toast bread
- Butter or margarine or cooking oil for frying
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Heat up a frying pan, skillet or griddle to medium-low heat.
- Grease the pan with butter, margarine, or cooking spray.
- Dip one slice of bread at a time into egg mixture and let soak for 10 seconds on each side. Remove from egg mixture, letting excess drip off.
- Place on hot skillet and cook until bottom is golden brown, 1½ to 2 minutes.
Turn over to cook other side until browned.
- Hard crust breads are recommended.
- Softer breads will create a soggy toast.
Toast softer bread before dipping it into the mix to create a solid base.
- The goal is to get both sides of the French toast nicely browned, while making sure the center is cooked.
Using excessive heat could scorch the outside of the toast while leaving the inside undercooked.
Classic French Toast Recipe Variations
- Orange Sweet French Toast
Substitute and blend in the following ingredients.
1. Substitute orange juice for milk.
2. Blend in 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tsp grated orange peel.
3. Serve with warmed marmalade thinned with a little orange juice.
- Cinnamon French Toast
Add the following ingredients to your egg and milk mix to create the perfect cinnamon french toast.
1. ½ tsp vanilla extract.
2. ¼ tsp nutmeg.
3. ¼ tsp cinnamon
4. ½ tsp sugar
- Basic Savoury French Toast
Whisk the following ingredients with your eggs and milk to create a basic savoury french toast.
1. ¼ tsp Salt
2. ¼ tsp pepper
- Cheesy Savoury French Toast
Whisk the following ingredients into your egg and milk mix to create a cheesy savoury french toast.
1. ¼ tsp Salt
2. Pepper to taste
3. ¼ cup finely grated cheese
French Toast Serving Suggestions
- Serve on plates, usually two slices per person, with toppings as desired.
- Have a couple of slices of basic savoury french toast with your morning coffee.
- Classic French toast can be served with with your Full English Breakfast instead of toast.
- Sweet French toast can be served with toppings similar to those used for pancakes, waffles, and toast.
- Savoury French toast can be served as part of a fried breakfast with savoury foods like sausages (or vegetarian equivalent), tomato (or ketchup), baked beans, fried mushrooms etc.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 343Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 207mgSodium 385mgCarbohydrates 27gFibre 1gSugar 3gProtein 12g