This simple BBQ Sauce recipe with a honey bbq sauce base comes together quickly & fuss free.
A simple yet delicious easy barbecue sauce that is packed with flavour.
A simple bbq sauce recipe with no overpowering flavours. Our easy barbecue sauce has a honey bbq sauce base which makes it great for both dipping or basting.
Ideal for smoked meats, pizza, burgers, bbq, seafood or a dip for your fish & chips.
- 1 small red onion minced (¾ cup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 280 grams tomato paste
- 2 cans water, from empty tomato paste can
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan gently heat the olive oil on your stove top.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and water and mix through.
- Allow to come to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the molasses, honey, vinegar, fish sauce, Dijon mustard, and salt and mix through.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before transferring to an airtight container.
Simple barbecue sauce Uses
- Brush your chicken, pork, chops in the final minutes of bbq cooking.
- Having a mild honey bbq sauce base makes it great as a dipping sauce or topping on virtually any cooked meats.
- A perfect go to sauce for burgers and pizza.
Simple bbq sauce recipe variations
- Instead of onions use green pepper
- Substitute the honey with maple syrup
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 1828Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 0mgSodium 4391mgCarbohydrates 410gFibre 15gSugar 381gProtein 17g