This simple BBQ Sauce recipe with a honey bbq sauce base comes together quickly & fuss free.
A simple yet delicious easy barbecue sauce that is packed with flavour.
1 hour 20 minutes
1 small red onion minced (¾ cup)
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
280 grams tomato paste
2 cans water, from empty tomato paste can
¼ cup molasses
1 cup honey
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan gently heat the olive oil on your stove top.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and water and mix through.
- Allow to come to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the molasses, honey, vinegar, fish sauce, Dijon mustard, and salt and mix through.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before transferring to an airtight container.
Simple barbecue sauce Uses
- Brush your chicken, pork, chops in the final minutes of bbq cooking.
- Having a mild honey bbq sauce base makes it great as a dipping sauce or topping on virtually any cooked meats.
- A perfect go to sauce for burgers and pizza.
Simple bbq sauce recipe variations
- Instead of onions use green pepper
- Substitute the honey with maple syrup
Recommended Celebrity Cookbooks
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 1828Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 0mgSodium 4391mgCarbohydrates 410gFibre 15gSugar 381gProtein 17g