Scald Cooking Definition
To scald or scalding in cooking means to heat a liquid until just below the boiling point, 82°C (180°F) by gently bringing the temperature up and stopping before it actually starts to boil.
Scalding tomatoes, fruits and vegetables for instance will help in removing the skin.
Scalded milk helps make breads, cakes, and other baked goods both light and fluffy.
Some baking recipes call for scalded milk; that is, milk brought nearly to a boil and then cooled down.
Scalded milk also helps;
- Dissolve sugar and melt butter.
- Extracts the most flavour from vanilla beans, cinnamon, citrus peels, and other flavour agents. Best of all.
The process of scalding kills off the protein that’s in milk, which helps the gluten to remain unbroken.
How to Scald Milk
Scald milk without film forming on the top or sugars sticking to the bottom.
- Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat.
- Pour in cold milk.
- Stir frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Test the temperature occasionally. You want 82°C (180°F).
- If you don’t have a thermometer, look for tiny bubbles appearing on the sides of the pan and wisps of steam are coming off the surface.
- Remove from heat. Cool to the desired temperature and use as directed in your recipe.
How To Scald Milk Perfectly
In this video from Allrecipes, you’ll learn how to scald milk without film forming on the top or sugars sticking to the bottom.
You’ll see why a thick-bottomed pan is preferred for scalding milk and learn the best temperature for scalding milk.
How to Scald Tomatoes
- Cut an “X” at the base of the fruit.
- Score a small circle lightly around the top “stem” area.
- Put the scored pieces in a deep pot then carefully pour boiling hot water over top, enough to cover.
- Let them sit for no more tha 60 seconds in the hot water.
- Remove them and dunk in a sink or bowl of very cold ice water (this helps stop them from cooking).
- The skin should peel off easily. Take the lifted corners from the “X” and peel back.
- Sometimes just giving them a gentle squeeze will push them right out and no pulling back is necessary.